2023-2024 Music Auditions
Orchestra - No Audition. students will perform their audition during class in the fall once enrolled.
Students interested in joining jazz should contact Mr. Brooke Pierson (email@example.com)
Auditions will begin on April 3rd and are by appointment only. Auditions will be after school from 3:30 - 4:45 pm or may be submitted electronically.
To schedule an appointment, contact Mr. Pierson directly. If that time frame does not work, alternate arrangements can be made."
Replace Step 1 audition instructions with the new file "Band Audition Instructions 2023-2024.
- Symphonic Band - (open to all students)
- Concert Winds - (intermediate level band)
- Wind Ensemble – (advanced level band)
Band Auditions are to determine ensemble placement. Students who do not audition will be automatically placed into Symphonic Band.
Band Audition Dates – Spring Semester beginning April 4th
- Step 1 - Read Audition Instructions
- Step 2 - Contact Mr. Pierson to set up an audition date (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Step 3 - Review audition requirements (scales and excerpts - see below)
- Step 4 - Download excerpt below. Perform the portion for your instrument
*percussion, perform as instructed in Audition Instructions
Instrument Excerpt Link:
- Chamber Choir - no audition required
- Vox Humanas – (advanced level audition required)
Auditions will begin in March and are by appointment only. Auditions will be held virtually or after school from 3:30 - 4:45 pm.
To schedule an appointment, contact Mr. Watsa (email@example.com) directly and provide three-day options that fall within the 3:30 - 4:45 pm time frame. If that time frame does not work, alternate arrangements can be made.
Chamber Choir - no audition required
Vox Humanas – (advanced level audition required)
Choir Auditions are to determine ensemble placement. Students who do not audition will be automatically placed into Chamber Choir.
In-person auditions include testing one's vocal range, a short sight-reading excerpt, and a prepared solo that best demonstrates your singing ability.
Students auditioning virtually must submit a one minute video recording of a prepared solo that shows off your best singing voice. You may sing with an accompanist or karaoke track (no vocals on the track) or without musical accompaniment (a cappella). Please submit your videos as an unlisted YouTube video or Google shared link.
Why WIHI Music?
- Ensembles: We offer a full spectrum of traditional large and small performing ensembles: Band, Choir, Orchestra, Jazz Band, Chamber Music.
- Instruction: Students receive high quality instruction in their primary area (strings, voice, etc.) by performing quality musical literature and individual study in large ensemble settings.
- IB Music: Students can take IB Music in their 11th/12th grade years studying music academically through music history, music theory analysis, and music composition. For more information click HERE.
- Scheduling: Students are encouraged to continue music ensemble performance for their entire education at WIHI; grades 9th - 12th. Scheduling allows four year participation in music while continuing their IB course-load. Upon IB Authorization this coming March, we will begin offering IB Music in 2013-2014. Students enrolled in IB Music CAN (and are encouraged to) continue performing in their large ensemble by scheduling these courses concurrently.
- Performing: We offer regular performing opportunities at state of the art facilities (such as Saline HS Ellen Ewing Performing Arts Center) as well as WIHI Sponsored Solo and Ensemble opportunities and other events.
- Consistency: Our music department is united as a whole organization with a curriculum that is consistent among all ensembles.
- Active Parent Involvement: Our parent boosters are active supporters of the music program - assisting in running events, raising funds and supporting student opportunities.
Students Going Above and Beyond: Our WIHI Student musicians are not only active with WIHI music but also attend local concerts, take private lessons, attend camps/clinics (Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, EMU Wind/Percussion Clinic Day, Interlochen, etc.) and perform in honors/youth ensembles (Ypsilanti Youth Orchestra, DSO Civic Youth Ensembles).