Counseling updates from Mr. Nemo (wihi.org/college-counseling; @WIHICounselors on Twitter):
1. The WIHI school profile is updated! Please take a moment to review the 2015-16 WIHI School Profile at http://www.wihi.org/school-profile.html. This document is forwarded to all colleges as part of students' applications and provides valuable information to help admissions officers and outside folks realize how great WIHI really is!
2. Events - We hope to see you at two upcoming events:
WIHI Open House - Thursday, August 27 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. - all grades
WIHI College Night - Wednesday, September 16 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. - open to all, but encouraged for 10th and 11th grade students and families
During the initial Open House assembly, counselors will provide a brief overview of our support services for students and counseling curriculum plans for the year. During College Night, students and parents will engage in Q&A with panelists from a diverse group of colleges and universities, and also discuss planning for college counseling during 11th and 12th grade.
3. PSAT schedule - The 11th grade PSAT will be offered at WIHI on the morning of Wednesday, October 14. 11th grader PSAT registration will take place in September. All 9th and 10th graders will take the PSAT 9/10 in April 2016 as part of the Michigan Department of Education's testing schedule.
4. Colleges visiting WIHI - please continue to check the Activities Calendar for the schedule of college representatives visiting WIHI. And mark your own calendars to attend. Right now, our first visit is September 10, and we have more than 20 colleges already scheduled to visit. Registration for our early visits will start around September 1.
5. College Application Question of the Week: What do I put for the "Additional Information" section of the Common App?
Answer: For most students, nothing! Phew - one small thing that you don't have to do! The Additional Information section is really designed for students who need to provide an explanation to colleges for a major discrepancy in their record. Students who miss a semester or year due to illness, suffer a MAJOR grade drop due to illness, and those who have incomplete transcripts are common cases where the section needs to be filled out. If that doesn't apply to you, then leave the section blank! Resist the urge to re-copy your activities list hear, and certainly don't try to add an unwanted essay here. The colleges really don't want to see those things in "Additional Information," and putting an unhelpful answer there will detract from the rest of your application.
College Resources and Timelines
Seniors - submit your Purple Sheet here!
WIHI College Counseling Process (Junior and Senior Year)
Financial Aid Timeline
Junior Resources and timeline:
WIHI Junior Conferences
Senior Resources and timeline: