2021-2022 Music Auditions
Band and Choir Auditions are Open
Orchestra - No Audition. students will perform their audition during class in the fall once enrolled.
Students interest in auditioning for Jazz Ambassadors
Symphonic Band - (open to all students)
Concert Winds - (intermediate level band)
Wind Ensemble – (advanced level band)
Band Auditions are to determine ensemble placement. Students who do not audition will be automatically placed into Symphonic Band.
Please Note: Auditions this year will be the same as the 2020-2021 instructions. All auditions will be submitted via video to email@example.com
Band Audition Dates – Spring Semester beginning April 6th
Step 1 - Read Audition Instructions - Click Here
Step 2 - Contact Mr. Pierson to set up an audition date (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Step 3 - Review audition requirements (scales and excerpts - see below)
Step 4 - Download excerpt below. Perform the portion for your instrument
*percussion, perform as instructed in Audition Instructions
Instrument Excerpts - Click to download excerpts to perform at the audition
1) Perform all Major scales (or as many scales as you are able).
All Instruments play the page indicated for their instrument.
Students performing on Bari Sax or Bass Clarinet might be required to play Alto Sax or Soprano Clarinet depending on instrumentation and instrument availability in the fall.
Percussion: Use whatever instruments you have available. If you do not have anything available, contact email@example.com to set up a plan or hold the audition in person in the fall. There will be no Timpani tuning.
SAMPLE AUDITION SCORING RUBRIC - 2013/2014
Concert Choir - (open to all students)
Chamber Choir - (intermediate level band)
Vox Humanas – (advanced level band)
Audition times are held after school from 2:45pm – 3:45pm in Rm. 109 during spring semester – beginning April 6th throughout the end of the school year.
To schedule an appointment, contact Mr. Arquilla (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly and provide three-day options that fall within the 2:35pm – 3:45pm time frame. If that time range does not work, alternate arrangements can be made.
Choir Audition Dates – Spring Semester beginning March 18th
Audition Materials – Student Audition Instructions. Students should select the group they wish to audition for. If you are unsure, please contact Mr. Arquilla.
Chamber Choir auditions:
Perform approximately one minute of a song that shows off your best singing voice. You may bring in piano music for accompaniment or a karaoke track which can be played through a 1/8" "headphone" cable.
Performing a vocal part from our jazz version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
Below are vocal recordings of the Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass parts for our song. You should learn one of these parts and be able to sing your part with the "Final" Audition Track (full choir recording). Sheet music is also provided below.
Sheet Music Here
Why WIHI Music?
- Ensembles: We offer a full spectrum of traditional large and small performing ensembles: Band, Choir, Orchestra, Jazz Band, Chamber Music.
- Instruction: Students receive high quality instruction in their primary area (strings, voice, etc.) by performing quality musical literature and individual study in large ensemble settings.
- IB Music: Students can take IB Music in their 11th/12th grade years studying music academically through music history, music theory analysis, and music composition. For more information click HERE.
- Scheduling: Students are encouraged to continue music ensemble performance for their entire education at WIHI; grades 9th - 12th. Scheduling allows four year participation in music while continuing their IB course-load. Upon IB Authorization this coming March, we will begin offering IB Music in 2013-2014. Students enrolled in IB Music CAN (and are encouraged to) continue performing in their large ensemble by scheduling these courses concurrently.
- Performing: We offer regular performing opportunities at state of the art facilities (such as Saline HS Ellen Ewing Performing Arts Center) as well as WIHI Sponsored Solo and Ensemble opportunities and other events.
- Consistency: Our music department is united as a whole organization with a curriculum that is consistent among all ensembles.
- Active Parent Involvement: Our parent boosters are active supporters of the music program - assisting in running events, raising funds and supporting student opportunities.