Why WIHI Music?
- Ensembles: We offer a full spectrum of traditional large and small performing ensembles: Band, Choir, Orchestra, Jazz Band, Chamber Music.
- Instruction: Students receive high quality instruction in their primary area (strings, voice, etc.) by performing quality musical literature and individual study in large ensemble settings.
- IB Music: Students can take IB Music in their 11th/12th grade years studying music academically through music history, music theory analysis, and music composition. For more information click HERE.
- Scheduling: Students are encouraged to continue music ensemble performance for their entire education at WIHI; grades 9th - 12th. Scheduling allows four year participation in music while continuing their IB course-load. Upon IB Authorization this coming March, we will begin offering IB Music in 2013-2014. Students enrolled in IB Music CAN (and are encouraged to) continue performing in their large ensemble by scheduling these courses concurrently.
- Performing: We offer regular performing opportunities at state of the art facilities (such as Saline HS Ellen Ewing Performing Arts Center) as well as WIHI Sponsored Solo and Ensemble opportunities and other events.
- Consistency: Our music department is united as a whole organization with a curriculum that is consistent among all ensembles.
- Active Parent Involvement: Our parent boosters are active supporters of the music program - assisting in running events, raising funds and supporting student opportunities.
2017-2018 Music Auditions
Band and choir Auditions are Open
late audition requests should contact Mr. Pierson directly.
Orchestra - No Audition. students will perform their audition during class in the fall once enrolled.
Students interest in auditioning for Chamber philharmonic will receive information at the start of the year.
Sign Up Slots HERE
Symphonic Band - (open to all students)
Concert Winds - (intermediate level band)
Wind Ensemble – (advanced level band)
Band Auditions are to determine ensemble placement. Students who do not audition will be automatically placed into Symphonic Band.
Band Audition Dates – Spring Semester beginning March 20th
Step 1 - Read Audition Instructions - Click Here
Step 2 - Contact Mr. Pierson to set up an audition date (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Step 3 - Review audition requirements (scales and excerpts - see below)
Step 4 - Download excerpt below. Perform the arrowed or bracketed portion*.
*percussion, perform as instructed in Audition Instructions
Instrument Excerpts - Click to download excerpts to perform at the audition
1) Scales: Eb Major, G Major, C Major, 1 octave Bb Chromatic
All Instruments play the Bracketed Portions for their instrument*
* Tuba and Bassoon play exercise #37
Students performing on Bari Sax might be required to play Alto Sax depending on instrumentation in the fall.
Alto Sax Excerpts
French Horn Excerpts
1) 3 octave scales: C major, D Major, Bb Major, Chromatic and tune Timpani to given pitches
2) Rudiment Studies 2 and 3 (bracketed portions)
3) Gypsy Moods (bracketed portion)
Percussion excerpts HERE
SAMPLE AUDITION SCORING RUBRIC - 2013/2014
Sign Up Slots HERE
Chamber Choir -- (Advanced Choir)
Choir Audition Dates – Spring Semester beginning March 20th
Audition Materials – Student Audition Instructions
1. Sing "Happy Birthday" in the key or octave that fits the range of your voice.
2. Sight-reading: You will be given 90 seconds to look over a short single line melody. You will need to then sing the melody in solfege (Do re mi fa sol la ti do).
3. Rhythm: You will be given a short simple rhythm excerpt to sing.